Position: Physical Education Teacher (with the possibility of a leadership role)
Section: Secondary School, teaching subject to IGCSE and A level.
Reporting to: Director of Sport
Responsible for: Student Outcomes
The successful candidate will be a sportsperson of proven ability, required to teach PE and Games lessons, preferably with experience and expertise in coaching Hockey and Netball. The Physical Education teacher will work closely with the director of Sport to assist with the running and implementation of the school’s sports program and provision, and ensuring a cohesive and broad-minded approach to school sport. As a member of the department, there will be opportunities for management and mentoring, as well as some teaching which includes BTEC at L2 and L3 as well as IGCSE PE. You will help to develop and deliver the overall strategy and objectives of the department, assisting with the creation and implementation of change processes. The successful applicant will guide and advise colleagues, particularly new members in the department, in developing the sporting skills and aptitudes of all staff; including training for coaching, umpiring, and refereeing, while encouraging a variety of teaching approaches within the department to assist the professional development and appraisal of staff to create a motivated and empowered team.
- To support the Director of Sports in his strategic role of managing the department and ensuring excellence for all.
- To implement and deliver an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant, and differentiated curriculum for students and to support the teaching of PE.
- To monitor and support the overall progress and development of students as a teacher and a form tutor
- To facilitate and encourage a learning experience that provides students with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential
- To contribute to raising standards of student attainment
- To share and support the school’s responsibility to provide and monitor opportunities for personal and academic growth
TEACHING AND LEARNING
- Ensure effective learning for all students through excellent teaching and delivery of well-planned and organized lessons across key stages.
- Assess, record, and report on the development, progress, and attainment of students.
- Use appropriate strategies to ensure outstanding student progress and well-being.
- Set and mark challenging class and homework according to school policy.
- Support the development of teaching materials and courses of study.
- Participate in arrangements for preparing students for public examinations and in assessing students for the purpose of such examinations.
- Liaise with parents and support staff to ensure excellent attainment.
- Support extended intervention/enrichment activities to enhance students’ learning experience.
- Manage the behavior of students in classrooms and around the school.
- Maintain an organized and well-presented learning environment for students.
- Contributing to the maintenance of a supportive and stimulating learning environment for all students
- Support and uphold the requirements of school policies.
- Adhere to the staff code of conduct.
- Be an effective form tutor/year group intervention tutor.
- Be responsible for ensuring subject knowledge is developed and participate in staff training and development.
- Attend team/staff meetings and participate in open evenings.
- Participate in relevant administrative and organizational tasks.
- Degree or equivalent in PE.
- Qualified Teacher Status.