- Optimise the climate services value chain in Eastern Africa
- Support development of regional Hazards Watch system
- Support development of methodology for automated Impact Based Forecasting (based on hazard forecast, vulnerability and exposure data). Improve risk assessment through strengthened analysis of different sources of weather, climate and socio-economic data
- Support generation of added value from ICPAC climate products.
- Support tailoring of climate services: Analyse user data to support tailoring of digital marketing to different use cases to improve service design
- Optimise the climate services value chain in Eastern Africa including optimization of new climate services developed in energy, water and agriculture.
- Advise on optimisation of High-Performance Computing Cluster.
- Generate added-value from ICPAC and international centers forecasts (e.g. GFS) and support bias correction of the forecast model (WRF)
Qualifications and Skills
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Engineering, IT, Data Science, Meteorology or Climate Sciences with knowledge of data sciences
- Programming and Software development Skills
- Experience in scripting and programming languages, preferably Python. Experience with R is desirable.
- Experience in querying languages including SQL
- Experience/understanding of web development techniques for supporting development of data driven products. The products you will develop will need to be presented mostly on the web
- Experience and understanding of statistical and geo-statistical techniques and how to apply them in various contexts including in climate applications
- Experience and understanding of different machine learning methods and algorithms, when to apply them and how to effectively implement them in Python using the available machine learning packages
- Experience in applying machine learning techniques in the weather and climate context is an added advantage
- Ability to describe findings and the way techniques work to audiences, both technical and non-technical
- Experience in visualization tools like matplotlib, ggplot, d3.js or similar. Knowledge on various dashboarding tools and platforms like Tableau is desired.
- Experience in disaster risk analysis is desirable
- Fluency in written and oral English is a requirement
Apply through the link below: